The Tree View preferences are these:
- Text format. Changes the text format for all of the nodes the tree contains.
- Text size. The size of the text representing the nodes can be modified in tiny, small, medium, large or huge.
- Font. Sets the font of the text of all nodes
- Bold. Sets the text bold if enabled.
- Tree Layout. Different layouts for the tree.
- Node symbol. Changes the symbol of nodes into box, dot, circle or none if you don`t want a node symbol.
- Layout. Displays the tree layout as standard or topology.
- Show internal node labels. This allows you to see labels for the internal nodes. Initially, there are no labels, but right-clicking a node allows you to type a label.
- Label color. Changes the color of the labels on the tree nodes.
- Branch label color. Modifies the color of the labels on the branches.
- Node color. Sets the color of all nodes.
- Line color. Alters the color of all lines in the tree.
- Labels. Specifies the text to be displayed in the tree.
- Nodes. Sets the annotation of all nodes either to name or to species.
- Branches. Changes the annotation of the branches to bootstrap, length or none if you don`t want annotation on branches.
You may select part of a Tree by clicking on the nodes that you want to select.
Right-click a selected node opens a menu with the following options:
- Set root above node (defines the root of the tree to be just above the selected node).
- Set root at this node (defines the root of the tree to be at the selected node).
- Toggle collapse (collapses or expands the branches below the node).
- Change label (allows you to label or to change the existing label of a node).
- Change branch label (allows you to change the existing label of a branch).
You can also relocate leaves and branches in a tree or change the length. It is possible to modify the text on the unit measurement at the bottom of the tree view by right-clicking the text. In this way you can specify a unit, e.g. "years".
Branch lengths are given in terms of expected numbers of substitutions per site.
Note! To drag branches of a tree, you must first click the node one time, and then click the node again, and this time hold the mouse button.
In order to change the representation:
- Rearrange leaves and branches by
Select a leaf or branch | Move it up and down (Hint: The mouse turns into an arrow pointing up and down)
- Change the length of a branch by
Select a leaf or branch | Press Ctrl | Move left and right (Hint: The mouse turns into an arrow pointing left and right)
Alter the preferences in the Side Panel for changing the presentation of the tree.