To view the sequence information:
select a sequence in the Navigation Area | Show () in the Toolbar | Element info ()
This will display a view similar to fig 10.15.
- Name. The name of the sequence which is also shown in sequence views and in the Navigation Area.
- Description. A description of the sequence.
- Comments. The author's comments about the sequence.
- Keywords. Keywords describing the sequence.
- Db source. Accession numbers in other databases concerning the same sequence.
- Gb Division. Abbreviation of GenBank divisions. See section 3.3 in the GenBank release notes for a full list of GenBank divisions.
- Length. The length of the sequence.
- Modification date. Modification date from the database. This means that this date does not reflect your own changes to the sequence. See the history for information about the latest changes to the sequence after it was downloaded from the database.
- Organism. Scientific name of the organism (first line) and taxonomic classification levels (second and subsequent lines).
The information available depends on the origin of the sequence. Sequences downloaded from database like NCBI and UniProt (see Database Search) have this information. On the other hand, some sequence formats like fasta format do not contain this information.
Some of the information can be edited by clicking the blue Edit text. This means that you can add your own information to sequences that do not derive from databases.
Note that for other kinds of data, the Element info will only have Name and Description.