After download, it is always possible to select a subset of bacterial genomes and saving the reduced list in a separate file. This can reduce significantly subsequent analysis runtime.
For example, from a collection of bacterial genomes that include multiple representatives of each genus, you can extract a genus specific subset of sequences to a new list:
- Open the downloaded bacterial genomes database.
- Switch to tabular element mode ().
- Filter towards the desired genus (figure 20.8).
- Select all remaining rows.
- Click the Create New Sequence List button.
- Save the subset reference list.